Designing apps is a complicated process that entails a combination of creativity, industry knowledge, and market research. To create successful apps, app developers need to design apps that provide enhanced functionality to end users, while improving the efficiency of their own development process. Here are some tips from expert app developers to help you design a better app from the start.
With these expert tips, you’ll design better apps in less time.
1. Use a clear layout. It may seem like a good idea to design a complicated template with innumerable features, but it will likely turn users away. Instead, design a simple template that is obvious and intuitive to navigate. The more complicated the app is to utilise, the less likely customers are to master the app.
2. Research ideal template designs. The placement of each function is imperative, and proper placement will allow for intuitive use among app users. For new app designers, it may be helpful to research a variety of successful apps to see the most common layout of key features. The back button, for instance, is most commonly located in the upper left-hand corner of the app. By placing the back button elsewhere, customers may have difficulty locating it, resulting in frustration among users and declining usage of the app.
3. Leverage mobile capabilities. Mobile apps have a lot more options than desktop apps, and you can use this to your advantage by providing greater functionality for users. Integrate photo functions into each app when applicable, or utilise location trackers to provide regional information to customers.
4. Design for thumbs instead of fingers. Research shows that users most commonly use their thumbs to navigate apps, rather than their fingers. Button sizes should be adjusted to a slightly larger size than normal, so the app can easily be navigated with the thumb.
6. Design for older eyes. Keep in mind, people of all ages will likely be using your app. Just because you can read the text, doesn’t mean all of your users will be able to. Utilise a font size that is large enough to be easily readable, even among older generations. Use generic fonts, like Helvetica and Times New Roman, rather than specialty fonts.
7. Design an interactive app. To design a great app, you need to design it with the end user in mind. Users strongly prefer an interactive interface that gives them more control and authority over the app.
An interactive app is more engaging to customers.
8. Price the app fairly. The price of an app is a major determiner in the apps success. Ensure the app is priced fairly, while still generating a reasonable profit margin. Ask yourself, would you be willing to buy the app for the listed price? Does it provide the functionality needed to be worth the price? How do similar apps compare to the price you’ve established?
Designing apps can be challenging, especially given the demands of modern-day consumers. Apps need to be useful, convenient, and distinct, while being easy and intuitive to utilise. Conduct ample research to ensure all icons, button placements, and template designs are similar to other apps on the market, so the design will feel instinctive to your customers. Contact us to learn how our professional app development platform will improve the design process of your app.