Apps are now a commonplace commodity, and usage rates are growing rapidly.
Apps have become a commonplace part of modern living. It’s predicted that by 2020, about 6.1 billion people will be using smartphones. As smartphone usage increases, the dependency on mobile apps will become even more pervasive. Here are some interesting statistics about the world of app development and app usage around the world.
The Marketplace of Apps
1. App downloads are increasing rapidly. In 2015, there were 25 billion iOS app downloads and 50 billion Android app downloads. There were 167.05 billion total app downloads, which is expected to increase to 253.91 billion downloads by 2017. Compare this to the state of apps in 2012, where only 57.33 billion apps were downloaded, and it’s clear the economy of app development is growing quickly.
2. The most popular apps are for social networking. About 29 percent of app users are using social networking apps. Facebook is by far the most popular app, being used by 21 percent of all app users. Mobile apps open up additional channels of communication, making it easier for people to connect with friends far and wide, which is why mobile networking is on the rise.
3. Young people are using apps far more frequently. If you’re wondering which age groups to cater your apps to, people between the ages of 18 and 24 are by far the biggest market. This demographic spends approximately 90.6 hours per month on their smartphone apps and an additional 34.7 hours per month on their tablet apps.
4. Smartphones are the most popular app medium. The medium you market your app to is critical. Though the app should be accessible from all devices, some devices perform much better than others. As of 2015, PCs and laptops were still in the lead, with about 91 percent of people utilising laptops. However, about 87 percent of all Internet users’ own smartphones and another 53 percent of users own tablets. Only 9 percent own a Smartwatch, making it one of the least likely sources of market value.
The State of App Development
1. Software development is a popular career choice. About 19 million people worldwide are software developers, with 8.7 million developing mobile apps.
2. Software developers span the globe. Every continent has their hand in the development pool, but Asia is taking the biggest share. About 32.9 percent of all software developers are in Asia, compared to 29.7 percent in Europe, and 29.4 percent in North America.
3. The average age of app developers is relatively consistent worldwide. Across the globe, people of all ages are developing apps. However, the majority of app developers are Millennials. The average age of app developers in North America is 34, compared to 32 in Europe, and 27 in Asia.Apps are now a commonplace commodity, and usage rates are growing rapidly.Click To Tweet
To succeed in the realm of app development, it helps to know who your market is, as well as understanding your competitors. Global trends suggest that app developers are similar across the world, with the majority of app developers falling between the ages of 27 and 34. The number of app users are growing rapidly, and this trend is expected to continue as smartphones become adopted even more. There is no better time to get into the exciting world of app development. Talk To Us, and begin developing your app idea today.